Our vision is to inspire community leaders to build a micro-forest or tiny forest in every Australian urban hotspot.
We inspire communities to grow micro-forests
By demonstrating what is possible we want to inspire you and your community to make a neighbourhood micro-forest. By following our method you can make a cool outdoor haven that in turn inspires others.
You don’t need to be an expert to make a micro-forest. Firstly, you need to be passionate about making a difference. Second, you need to listen to others. And finally you need to see the project through to completion.
Since 2020, we’ve built four neighbourhood micro-forests on public land. With a 5th scheduled for 2023.
Each project is lead by community volunteers. By making decisions together and planting and caring for the micro-forest, micro-forest projects reconnect people to one another and nature.
Typically micro-forests are created on public land. Four of our micro-forests are located in suburban parks. The Moruya Micro-forest is nestled on land owned by the Anglican Church.
Our micro-forests are unique
Our micro-forests or tiny forest method is unique as we combine:
- the Miyawaki method of dense planting (3 plants per square metre) which results in rapid growth
- fabulous soil preparation (by combining organic compost to build soil biota and the soil sponge)
- above and below ground water harvesting (to make water available at a plants’ roots where it’s needed most and to future-proof vegetation) and cool the landscape. We do not recommend skipping this stage to save money!
- for some projects (particularly inland areas likely to be significantly hotter and drier in the future) we select trees likely to thrive in a hotter future
- we recommend integrating open spaces for gathering, broad paths and seating with your micro-forest.
- each project is lead by a volunteer leadership group
- leadership groups raise at least half of the project funds through crowdfunding.
More micro-forest information
We’ve create free resources to get your community project started. And below are some short videos to sink your teeth into.